Sunday, February 12, 2023

Slipped Back Into Your Old Ways

                                                     When The Door Slams


Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those who by nature are not gods. But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable forces? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again?                                                                                                                         Galatians 4:9


        Most of us tend to default to the familiar. The Jews in Galatia were no exception. After hearing the Gospel and responding to it, they knew God in a far more intimate way than when they were trying to keep the ceremonial law by adhering to eating certain foods or observing certain ceremonial holy days, as the law commanded.

        None of those practices had any inherent spiritual power. They were shadows of the Gospel to come. Yet Paul is writing to the Galatian church with a heavy heart, knowing they had slipped back into their old ways. "I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain," he says in (verse 11). He goes on to say, "My little children, for whom I labor in birth again until Christ is formed in you, I would like to be present with you now and to change my tone; for I have doubts about you" (verses 19-20).

        Think about this: Today, we don't struggle with returning to the ceremonial law because most of us didn't come from that background. But we struggle with other empty rituals, such as performance-based Christianity. Formerly, we believed we could earn our way to heaven by good works. Even though we left that behind, we return to it when we believe our performance is a reflection of spiritual strength. We need to reject that! You must return to the power of Christ within you.    

Petition: Since I died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, may I not submit to its regulations as though I still belonged to it (Colossians 2:20).      

It is in You, Lord Jesus, that I have peace. In this world I will have tribulation, but I will be of good cheer, because You have overcome the world (John 16:33). I have been set apart for the gospel of God-I am among those who are called to belong to Jesus Christ (Romans 1:1,6).

Ask the Spiritual to search your heart and reveal any areas of unconfessed sin. Acknowledge these to the LORD and thank Him for His forgiveness.

                                                            Never Rest Ministries      

No comments:

Post a Comment