Sunday, May 17, 2020

Twenty-Third Psalm

                                               When The Door Slams

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.                                                                                              He makes me to lie down in green pastures;                                                                                          He leads me beside the still waters.                                                                                                        He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's safe.
                                                                                                                                          Psalms 23:1-3


Let's look at the first three verses.
       The Lord in my shepherd. King David wrote this psalm, and after years of tending sheep as a boy, he observed that the Father's relationship to us is much like a loving, caring shepherd.

       I shall not want. The Hebrew word translated want really means "lack." We will not lack anything physically, emotionally, or spiritually that we truly need. God will provide.   

       He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. God nourishes us with His Word, the Bible. Without it, we starve spiritually and our behavior and emotions show it.

       He restores my soul. Sanctification, restoration is a slow, steady process.

       He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. We hardly ever notice when He does it. But He is intimately involved in every second of our lives, making us like Christ.

       Think about this: If we are God's sheep, we follow our Shepherd. He provides serenity and renewal to us if we will just drink of the peaceful waters.     

Ask the Spirit to search your heart and reveal any areas of unconfessed sin. Acknowledge these to the Lord and thank Him for His forgiveness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment